TSG debate draws crowd, sparks discussion

TSG held its final executive election debate yesterday in the Student Center. Temple Student Government held its second and final executive ticket debate on yesterday, April 4 in the Student Center atrium. The tickets, Owl

TSG held its final executive election debate yesterday in the Student Center.

TSGDebate_WalbertYoung02
WALBERT YOUNG TTN The Temple Student Government executive tickets met on April 4 in the Student Center atrium for the final debate before the April 5-6 elections.

Temple Student Government held its second and final executive ticket debate on yesterday, April 4 in the Student Center atrium.

The tickets, Owl Future and TU Nation, were given three minutes each to answer a variety of questions. The issues debated included ticket goals and platforms, programs that would directly affect students, issues of safety and how to further student involvement in Philadelphia.

Owl Future is made up of Malcolm Kenyatta running for student body president, Megan Chialastri running for vice president of services and Amanda Miller, who was not in attendance, running for vice president of external affairs.

TU Nation is made up of Colin Saltry running for student body president, Ugochukwu Obilo running for vice president of services and Elliot Griffin running for vice president of external affairs.

In outlining their goals, members of Owl Future explained that they want to increase the role of social media in bringing problems to TSG’s attention, create a TU Alert for transit to benefit commuter students and increase mid-day “town halls” for commuter and transfer students to be more involved.

TU Nation’s goals include a student advocacy center for students to bring their problems to TSG’s attention, GPS tracking on the Temple shuttle systems, Owl Loop and TUr Door, and a book-share program to be run through TSG.

TU Nation also plans to provide SEPTA tokens to students on the weekends. Kenyatta criticized TU Nation’s token plan, adding that it will not benefit a large enough majority of students.

On the topic of tuition increases in response to Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposed budget, Kenyatta said, “We have to continue to fight to further funding,” adding that his ticket did not plan to promise things it could not deliver, and that increasing Diamond Dollar giveaways would benefit students who are strapped for cash.

Saltry, who entered the debate chanting “Education, TU Nation” with a crowd of supporters from a rally protesting budget cuts, cited his record of being active in Harrisburg, Pa., but added the need to be realistic and work within the system.

“We want to work with the administration and not for them,” Griffin said.

Kenyatta criticized the way TSG has been run in the past and emphasized that students don’t need to be members of TSG to be involved and to make a difference at Temple.

“There are a lot of people not involved in TSG who are helping students,” Kenyatta said.

“No one likes to go to TSG meetings, but it’s something that has to be done,” Saltry said, adding that anyone can be involved in TSG, regardless of whether they have a title.

Current Student Body President Natalie Ramos-Castillo took the time to defend the current executive administration and added that she supported TU Nation.

Valerie Rubinsky can be reached at valerie.rubinsky@temple.edu.