TSG discusses upcoming events

On Monday, Oct. 4, Temple Student Government met for its second Senate meeting where its members brought up upcoming events and provided an update on new initiatives. Dr. Theresa Powell, Vice President of Student Affairs,

On Monday, Oct. 4, Temple Student Government met for its second Senate meeting where its members brought up upcoming events and provided an update on new initiatives.

Dr. Theresa Powell, Vice President of Student Affairs, started off the meeting by thanking TSG for its work on campus.

Afterward, Senate President Colin Saltry began a series of office and advisory reports, addressing the process of choosing a new elections committee.

“This is a vitally important position with plenty of responsibilities and a number of opportunities for advancement,” Saltry said. “Basically as elections commissioner, you kind of set the tone in marketing strategies and how TSG will be elected for next year.

Saltry then reminded the members of TSG’s goal to improve voter turnout by 35 percent, or approximately 1,000 votes. He said he is confident TSG will exceed these numbers.

Saltry wrapped up by announcing Mark Quien from the Committee on Allocations as Senate President Pro Tempore. 

TSG Student Body President Natalie Ramos-Castillo said TSG is in the process of setting up a focus group with the Septa Youth Advisory Committee on how to improve Septa services.

Ramos-Castillo and Main Campus Program Board Vice President of External Communications Aisha Howard highlighted the upcoming homecoming events.

Some of these events include: Tee’s for Temple U., flag football, the homecoming pageant, tailgating before the homecoming game and a concert starring Passion Pitt.

Eric Belkoff from the Committee on Academic Affairs began the committee reports. They are working on expanding hours at the library and Tech Center as well as making changes to course evaluations due to their wordiness. 

Monica Rindfleisch from the Committee on Rules and Administration brought up the committee’s upcoming effort to read through the code for elections in order to make necessary changes.

If you saw any issues or problems, I do want to hear that. I do want to know,” Rindfleisch said. “We want to try and make elections as smooth and seamless as possible.”

At the closing of the meeting, during an open call, two upcoming events were announced.

Stacie Leap from the Committee on Outreach and Engagement told the members about Bright Out Day, an Oct. 6 event which encourages school spirit.                                                                                                            

“The school wears neon in order to show the school spirit and optimism that Temple possesses,” Leap said.

Chief Justice of the TSG Supreme Court Keith Davis mentioned a ceremony at City Hall on Oct. 6 to kick off GLBT history month, which he said he hopes will jump-start a dialogue at colleges as well.

“There will be a raising of pride flags in the opening ceremony of LGBT history month as well as in recognition of the now seven LGBT suicides of teenagers in this country,” Davis said, “beginning the city-wide dialogue of safety for teenagers and youth, both LGBT and straight.”

Cary Carr can be reached at cary.carr@temple.edu.