TSG election results lead to run-off

Results from last week’s election have forced Temple Student Government to hold run-off elections on April 30 and May 1.

tsg4

Although Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. won with 897 votes, they did not have enough of a majority for an outright victory.

The new elections code states that the wining slate must receive 50 percent of the votes plus one additional vote to win. Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. received almost 43 percent of the votes. If the slate does not receive this majority, the slate with the second most votes has the right to have a run-off election.

“We’re very excited about the run-off elections. According to the Elections Code, Temple Reloaded had every right to ask for a run-off election,” said Nadine Mompremier, presidential candidate for Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. “We look forward to campaigning again and getting the majority vote.”

Temple Reloaded received the second-highest amount of votes. Their total vote count was 588, and they have decided to have a run-off election. Owl Opportunity was a close third with 558 votes. Although Owl Opportunity cannot compete in the run off election, they have announced their endorsement of Temple Reloaded.

“[Temple Reloaded has] run a campaign with integrity, within the guidelines of the election rules, and we feel that they will be excellent advocates for the ambitions of the student body,” said Shiv Sethi, former vice presidential candidate of external affairs for Owl Opportunity.

Temple Reloaded members said they were grateful to Owl Opportunity for their plans to help Temple Reloaded with the campaign for the run-off election.

“Our alliance embodies our ability to work with others,” said Jeff Dempsey, presidential candidate from Temple Reloaded.

Temple Reloaded and Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. have one more week to campaign before the election on April 30 and May 1. Both groups plan on keeping similar strategies in their campaign.

“We are going to continue reaching out and speaking with the student body. Also, we are going to continue speaking to student organizations. Yet, this time, probably more than before we have to stress the importance of voting,” Dempsey said.

Only 2,098 votes were cast for the general election on April 22 and 23. There were 32 write-in votes and 23 blank votes.

Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. intends on talking to more people and explaining its slate to the student body. During the last campaign, it also contacted members of student organizations, encouraging them to vote for Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. It plans to keep the same strategies but are a little concerned about how involved students will be in the last week of classes.

“The decision for Temple Reloaded to want to have a run off is completely fair according to the elections code, but the timing in regards to the student body and taking finals is something that may have needed to be taken into consideration,” said Nexus Cook, vice presidential candidate of external affairs from Owl V.O.I.C.E.S.

The candidates for Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. are Mompremier, Cook and Farzad Firoz, vice president of services.

If elected, their platform calls for focusing on communication and strengthening TSG, athletics and student organizations. They claim to be the most experienced slate, with their slogan “Change through experience.”

Dempsey leads Temple Reloaded with his fellow slate members Steve Brooks, candidate for vice president of external affairs, and Michael Thom, candidate for vice president of services. Temple Reloaded said they plan on building a community with diversity, establishing a stronger Temple identity, enhancing communication with the student body, advancing services and establishing their Gaining Involvement for Temple Students initiative.

Rebecca Hale can be reached at rebecca.hale@temple.edu