TSG hosts first meeting of year

The new executive office led the first General Assembly meeting.

TSG Student Body President David Lopez speaks at the first General Assembly meeting yesterday. This was his first meeting as president. ( ABI REIMOLD / TTN )

Temple Student Government held its initial meeting of the semester yesterday, Sept. 10, as TSG Student Body President David Lopez led the General Assembly proceedings for the first time.

Lopez, alongside TSG Vice President of Services Julian Hamer and TSG Vice President of External Affairs Ofo Ezeugwu, welcomed student organizations and guests to a new year.

“I want to see TSG accomplish everything students want to accomplish, within the realm of what we do,” Lopez said.

In an effort to reduce the General Assembly meeting times, the officers held a 28-minute meeting that highlighted changes within the TSG structure.

The main changes consisted of the addition of a director of governmental affairs, permanent positions within the communication team and the reorganization of the allocations committee.

Lopez said he believes that the changes in the allocations committee, which include the elimination of paper applications and the addition of two co-chairs, will make it easier for student organizations to access information.

“It was a big issue in the past and we think we’ve targeted those issues,” Lopez, who interned in the White House this summer, said.

The attendees also voiced their opinions when it came to changes they wanted to see this year. Those suggestions included more attendance to music and art events, changes to the Owl Loop shuttle bus and bridging the gap between students and administrators.

Lopez, former president of the Temple College Democrats, led Temple Advocating for Progress which defeated RUN Temple by 500 votes in the April election.

The executive officers were formally inducted on April 23.

At the induction, former student body president Colin Saltry handed over a signed megaphone, referred to as “Voice of the Students,” to Lopez

TSG is still looking to fill positions in the grounds and sustainability committee and allocations committee, and also hire a videographer.

TSG can be contacted at TSG@temple.edu.

Laura Detter can be reached at laura.detter@temple.edu.