TUCR hosts congressman, plans for spring’s end

Rep. Pat Meehan gave advice to students pursuing law, political careers.

The Temple University College Republicans discussed its plans for the rest of the semester at last week’s meeting, which includes a trip to a local gun range and a visit to Mike Huckabee’s talk show.

Chairman Erik Jacobs said TUCR has been ramping up its events as the semester comes to a close.

On March 27, TUCR and the Temple Law Republicans hosted Republican U.S. Rep. Pat Meehan at a meeting at Beasley School of Law.

Meehan, a law school alumnus, talked about his experience as a law student at Temple and offered advice to students wishing to pursue a career in law or politics.

“It’s all about getting out the door and getting involved,” Meehan said. “Take your experience and get engaged in something you don’t normally do.”

Meehan said his experience talking with classmates from different backgrounds and with a variety of beliefs helped form his desire to go into public service. He recounted his journey from Temple Law to the U.S. House of Representatives, bouncing from one opportunity to the next until he made it.

“When I got to Congress,” Meehan said, “because of my experience as a lawyer, I had an appreciation for the nuances of the law. There’s a lot of political play on both sides, but my job is to get [a bill] through and get it passed.”

Ed Furman, a law student who previously worked on Meehan’s campaign, said the representative’s speech was encouraging. Other students applauded Meehan’s advice on using opportunities to go out and get the career they want.

Jacobs said members appreciated the rare opportunity to get up close and personal with a congressman.

“It was a great opportunity to hear a Republican member of Congress,” Jacobs said. “It was interesting to hear him talk about his time at Temple, about law school and his career path.”

Looking ahead, Jacobs said he was excited for TUCR’s plans for the semester. Later this month, TUCR will take a trip to a local gun range as part of its ongoing efforts for Second Amendment appreciation. Jacobs said since last year’s gun range trip, members have been anticipating another group visit.

“Everyone’s excited for this trip because we have a great time while exercising our Second Amendment rights.”

At the end of April, TUCR members will visit Mike Huckabee’s Fox News show, “Huckabee,” and sit in the live studio audience. TUCR made the same trip last year; Jacobs said members had a great time seeing the show and getting to meet the former Arkansas governor.

“They wanted us to come back this year,” Jacobs said. “They liked how we’ve been very active in young conservative politics.”

Jacobs said TUCR’s membership has increased this semester, with more young Republicans energized and getting involved in politics around campus.

“We’re averaging around 30 people a week,” Jacobs said. “Around the election we were in the high 40s.”

Finishing off its plans for April, TUCR will also go on a skeet shooting trip and will have a table set up for Spring Fling.

Joe Gilbride can be reached at joseph.gilbride@temple.edu.