News

Wyatt fined by A.C. court for soliciting

Men’s basketball player expresses remorse for soliciting undercover prostitute.

Men’s basketball senior guard Khalif Wyatt was reportedly  fined and  ordered to perform community service after appearing in court Friday, Sept. 21, for charges stemming from his June arrest.

Wyatt appeared in Atlantic City Municipal Court Friday. He was fined $1,000 and ordered to perform community service after being arrested for soliciting a prostitute and resisting arrest more than three months ago, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Wyatt was arrested in Atlantic City, N.J., on June 10,  for soliciting a believed prostitute, who was actually a police officer, and resisting arrest, while celebrating his 21st birthday.

“Khalif Wyatt has expressed remorse for his actions and has apologized for the embarrassment that has come to his family, team and university,” men’s basketball coach Fran Dunphy said in a statement. “We have taken appropriate action with Khalif [Wyatt] and believe the matter is now behind us.”

Wyatt expressed remorse in a statemen, which read: “I want to apologize to my family, teammates, coaches and Temple University for the embarrassment that my actions have caused. I take full responsibility for my actions and have learned from this mistake.”

It’s unclear whether Wyatt has, or will be, disciplined by the university or the team.

Under the law, Temple could not disclose if any disciplinary action was taken against Wyatt, according to University Communications.

Sean Carlin can be reached at sean.carlin@temple.edu or on Twitter @SeanCarlin84.