Dedicate recognition on MLK Day

Joseph Mackie recognizes Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with honor and reflection on King’s philosophies. Yesterday marked the 26th anniversary since Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was designated as a federal holiday in 1983. Joseph

1.17.12.Community Voice
KIERRA BUSSEY TTN Joseph Mackie waits outside for the bus at Broad Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue after attending Sunday service at Greater Exodus Baptist Church.

Joseph Mackie recognizes Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with honor and reflection on King’s philosophies.

Yesterday marked the 26th anniversary since Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was designated as a federal holiday in 1983.

Joseph Mackie of Cheltenham Township recognizes Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a day to never be forgotten.

“Martin Luther King Day is very important,” Mackie said. “First and foremost that’s the only nationally recognized African American leader ever so he deserves his just honor, especially with the recent dedication of the King memorial.”

Moreover, in 1994, Congress took the celebrations of Martin Luther King Jr. Day a step further by designating it as a national day of service.

“It’s a great day to get out and give back to the community because he was all about giving back to the community––strengthening the black community as well as all people together,” Mackie said. “It’s very imperative that we keep that legacy alive.”

Mackie said that King’s philosophies will always continue to live on.

“I appreciated his initiative to bring all people of all colors, genders and sexual orientation together for a common purpose, which was the equality of all [the American Dream],” Mackie said.

Kierra Bussey can be reached at kierrajb@temple.edu.