Editorial: Serving Philadelphia

The Temple News’ second annual service issue aims to raise awareness about charitable causes.

Readers will notice a common theme woven throughout this week’s issue: A commitment to raising awareness about the myriad ways in which the Temple community, as well as the city of Philadelphia, gives back to the area via community service.

As Temple’s student body continues to grow and pull more students from the Philadelphia suburbs and beyond, it is more important than ever that the Owl community remains focused on giving back to the area whose land and resources it utilizes to a greater extent every year.

Threaded throughout this issue are 11 stories profiling the many ways that Philadelphians give back to their hometown each day.

In the Living section, multiple student organizations and North Philadelphia charities have been highlighted. Readers  will find a profile on the upcoming AIDS walk organized by Temple’s fraternities and sororities, a piece about student involvement in LIFT, an organization devoted to helping the homeless and other articles underlining the ways Temple students give back to their community.

Furthermore, Arts & Entertainment has put a magnifying glass over multiple charitable services throughout greater Philadelphia. However, Temple’s influence throughout the city still shows strong. Gearing Up, a nonprofit that aims to help women recovering from substance abuse, was founded by a Temple alumna and is profiled on Page 9. Likewise, Temple alumnus John Infante has chosen to donate earnings from his art gallery projects to a sanctuary in India.

A piece on the multitude of Temple student-athletes who have “adopted” players with disabilities can be found on Page 1.

As a Temple student, it can be easy to focus on the future, forging ahead in your scholastic career without helping to alleviate the daily struggles of the residents who surround Main Campus. We hope this year’s Service Issue inspires more Owls into action.