Landlords and living conditions

Derek Kingcade and his family have lived in their current apartment for more than two years. The 30-year-old resident has two pet peeves with his home: the neighbors who live above him and his landlord.

Derek Kingcade and his family have lived in their current apartment for more than two years.

The 30-year-old resident has two pet peeves with his home: the neighbors who live above him and his landlord.

“[The neighbors] are older than I am, and they party a lot and drink a lot,” Kingcade said. “I don’t smoke or party, and I have three kids.”

“The first apartment I lived in on Broad Street six years ago had students on the third floor, and they were calmer than that,” he added. “It’s like my family and I have to just learn to live with it.”

Kingcade said his landlord takes a while to fix the things in the apartment that need maintenance, let alone addressing the neighbor complaint.

“Some [landlords] work with you, and some don’t,” he said. “They expect you to live in certain conditions and wait to fix things on their time.”
“It can be frustrating,” he added.

Kingcade said he’s sure he is not the only Philadelphia resident having issues with his landlord. He said having a good landlord depends on luck.

“You have a lot of slum landlords in Philadelphia,” Kingcade said. “They basically just [want] their money.”

Josh Fernandez can be reached at josh@temple.edu.