Letter: Our tradition of quality news continues

Editor in chief Chris Stover bids adieu to the Temple News readers.

To our readers:

At least 350 hours of manpower – totaling more than two week’s worth of work – go into producing one issue of The Temple News. And with this issue, we end our 87th year.

This year, we’ve covered it all.

Controversial contract negotiations continued between Temple and two of its unions. Students expressed concerns about graduating in a tough economy. And fans experienced another exciting year of NCAA Tournament appearances by the basketball teams.

The Temple News provided continuing coverage of all these topics and more. It has always been our responsibility to provide objective information to our readers so they can create their own opinions on these subjects.

Our work, once again, has paid off. The Temple News picked up eight statewide honors at the Keystone Press Awards, the highest distinction for collegiate journalism in Pennsylvania. Our Web site, temple-news.com, is in the running for an Editor & Publisher Award and the 2009 Online Pacemaker Award.

It has been my privilege and honor to serve as editor in chief during this exciting time in Temple’s history. My 23 co-workers on staff are some of the hardest working people on campus, and I am eternally grateful for the countless hours of work they have contributed to shape and create our award-winning product.

I think I can speak for many of the staff members of The Temple News with my analysis of the past year. Working at the paper has been the most exhausting, most stressful, most time-consuming job we could’ve found.

And we’d all do it again in a heartbeat to provide you with the information you need.

Good luck to my fellow graduating seniors. Be proud to carry the Temple name with you.

And for those continuing, enjoy your remaining time at Temple. Before you know it, you’ll be in our shoes, wishing you could do so much more but knowing you’ve accomplished everything you wanted.

– Chris Stover
Editor in Chief