Letters to the editor

Dear Editor, Entering their much-anticipated Atlantic-Ten Conference showdown against Xavier on Feb. 11, the men’s basketball team has won seven consecutive contests and 11 of their last 13, sitting atop the leader board in the

Dear Editor,

Entering their much-anticipated Atlantic-Ten Conference showdown against Xavier on Feb. 11, the men’s basketball team has won seven consecutive contests and 11 of their last 13, sitting atop the leader board in the conference. Based on the Owls’ recent success, you would believe that people of the general public might join the bandwagon by purchasing Owls gear, especially at the malls and department stores. However, when you walk into JCPenny, Macy’s, and Sear’s, the only Pennsylvania college gear you find is from Penn State, St. Joseph’s and Villanova, but not Temple.

Temple is a major power in NCAA Division I hoops, and being a squad of high caliber shooting and defense should gain major recognition around the nation. Department stores should carry Temple gear, especially since Temple football has recently become a power threat during the past three seasons (2011 Gildan New Mexico Bowl champions), and men’s basketball usually at some point or another find themselves in the NCAA Division I Top 25 rankings.

PSU sure has the football success from the 46 years of the late Joe Paterno, and the Nittany Lions also captured four of the past five division one women’s volleyball championships. When your school has talented programs, recognized alumni like Marc Jackson, Bill Cosby and the Sixers’ Lavoy Allen, and a great national reputation involving academics, you would want to display your pride throughout the regions, states and nation. If you want to be a Temple Owl, you have to be Temple tough, and if you want to be Temple tough, you have to be Temple ready. People should not only find Temple gear in the Temple book stores, but also major stores, where profit can increase based on the popularity of athletics, which that includes Temple football and basketball.

Sincerely,

Scott Samuel David Weiss

Journalism 2015