No interpersonal touch with online dating

Taesha Moore said technology has taken over every facet of our lives, including the dating scene. “Everything is done through the computer and the Internet, and now it’s dating online with Match.com,” the 25-year-old said.

Taesha Moore said technology has taken over every facet of our lives, including the dating scene.

“Everything is done through the computer and the Internet, and now it’s dating online with Match.com,” the 25-year-old said. “People just aren’t the same anymore.”

Moore, who has not yet used dating websites like Match.com or OkCupid, said she wants more interpersonal interaction when it comes to dating.

“When it comes to online dating, you can say whatever you want to someone from behind a computer screen,” Moore said. “It’s not the same as meeting them in person and having to hold a conversation and get to know them.”

Moore said it’s not just the Internet and technology that transformed dating culture. She said the attitudes of the people in her generation have also changed as well, which she said influences the way people date today.

“It’s different because everyone is in it for themselves,” Moore said.

“Everybody is looking for what they can get out of that one person instead of looking for love or relationship,” she added. “It seems like everyone’s attitude is just, ‘Wham, bam, thank you, ma’am.’”

Josh Fernandez can be reached at josh@temple.edu.

2 Comments

1. Great article! You should always be concerned when going on a date, and it dosen’t matter if you met them through an online dating service or at a bar. bConcerned.com offers a free dating safety tool, that monitors and confirms your safe arrival home. The founder is a police officer and he offers valuable dating safety tips to follow.

2. Moore’s comment is right on track  – “When it comes to online dating, you can say whatever you want to someone from behind a computer screen.” While online dating has grown tremendously in the past years, it’s so important to be safe when the relationship moves from behind the computer screen to real life. Unfortunately, people can lie from behind the computer screen and research has shown that one out of every ten users on online dating sites is a scammer and one third of people using online dating services are married. That’s why online daters shouldn’t hesitate to perform a background check before meeting in real life. Background reports are often overlooked; however, they can give you the peace of mind and extra safety you need in today’s online world.