Stop insolent conduct

Off campus and at parties, students ought to be respectful.

Earlier this month, a Drexel student alleged that several male students from surrounding schools shouted disparaging comments about her race—and a Temple student threw a drink at her—after she asked for a cigarette at a party on the 1600 block of Bouvier Street.

Temple Police are still investigating the incident, which included taking statements from several students present, but no arrest has yet been made. Still, the incident has renewed long-standing concerns about student conduct late on weekend nights, when alcohol flows and police struggle to curtail the noise violations from blaring music.

In October 2014, student partying came under stricter administrative scrutiny when a student shouted “F–k you” and used the N-word at his elderly African-American neighbors who called police about his loud party hosted on the 1700 block of Gratz Street, according to the Daily News.

Temple said it would consider charging that student through a Student Conduct Code hearing, and The Temple News later reported that police visited student houses on that block to remind them of the university’s Good Neighbor Policy.

In this more recent incident, the university said it “unequivocally condemns” disparaging language. On social media, several students denounced their classmate’s conduct.

While one’s safety is a priority, and not engaging directly with a group of people exhibiting violent behavior seems obvious, there should be some precedent to protect others from violent, racist behavior like what emerged at this particular party.

Bars have bouncers for just this reason: to throw people out on the street for exhibiting such conduct, and to protect the safety and well-being of the patrons. Any given weekend will have dozens if not hundreds of makeshift student-run bars, with guests intermingling outside as the weather warms up. It’s likely there will be more uncomfortable or even dangerous encounters, and not all will be as publicized as the March 12 incident.

And if there are to be no bouncers at the weekly parties, students must take extra care to look out for others, whether it’s by comforting them, calling the police, or simply speaking up.