TAUP: Funding article gets it wrong

President Arthur Hochner writes to offer TAUP’s side to a recent article.

Dear Editor:

Your article, “Hart heads to capital for added state aid” [“Hart heads to capital for state aid,” Cait Berry, March 17, 2009], misstates crucial facts about the money coming to Temple from the economic stimulus bill passed in February by the U.S. Congress.

The article states that the “funding will last only one year,” that it “is a one-time stop-gap measure,” that the money “will not act to ease the $11.4 million that was withdrawn,” and that there are doubts about “how much … Temple will receive.”

These statements are not true. First, the federal stimulus package will restore funds for at least two fiscal years. Second, the money will indeed ease the funding gap. That is its entire purpose, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Third, there is no doubt about Temple’s share.

Temple and the three other state-related universities had $42 million cut from our appropriations last fall by Gov. Edward Rendell. Temple’s portion was $10.5 million. This month, the governor said he would restore the $42 million to the four state-related universities for next year. Temple’s share will restore what was cut.

Indeed, each of the universities should receive restoration of the funds at least for FY 2010 and FY 2011. We may even get money back this year before June, though the U.S. Department of Education has not yet ruled on this.

The Temple Association of University Professionals, the union representing 1,300 full-time librarians, academic professionals and faculty, has checked with state government officials. These sources confirm that Gov. Rendell will use the federal dollars from the State Fiscal Stabilization Fund to restore funding in both FY 2010 and FY 2011.

TAUP believes that correct information about the stimulus funds is crucial for understanding Temple’s true financial picture because the funding promises to stabilize Temple’s revenues. TAUP has been negotiating with Temple management since last June and has been working without a contract since Oct. 15. Achieving settlement requires a clear and factual understanding of Temple’s finances.

Arthur Hochner
President, Temple Association of University Professionals