Top 10 Opinion pieces of 2015

We look back on 2015’s biggest moments and how Temple students and The Temple News editors responded.

Editorials: The views of these editorials reflect the views of The Temple News’ editorial board, comprised of the editor in chief, managing editor, chief copy editor, news editor and opinion editor.

Diversity welcomed

Temple alumnus Tamron Hall joined Temple’s Board of Trustees, becoming one of the only women and the only woman of color to hold a seat. While it’s a step in the right direction, the board is still majority white and male.

“We hope it’s clear to the Board that one hire should be seen as a step toward correcting the diversity problem and not a complete solution.”

Schools need a budget

While Pennsylvania is operating without a state budget, students at Temple and in the School District of Philadelphia are suffering. While Temple can likely operate, public schools are already struggling and closing doors across the city.

“The longer the General Assembly takes to pass a budget, the longer the district has to find other ways to operate, a demand that is unreasonable given that the district has had to cut 31 schools and lay off thousands of workers due to a lack of money.”

Our silent president 

After a semester of unanswered requests for an interview with president Theobald, The Temple News was finally denied, leaving our editors with a lot of unanswered questions. This arrangement isn’t good for us, for him, or for the well being and transparency of the university.

“In other words, Theobald is not willing to extend the same time to student journalists at his own school that he is to the Inquirer.”

Columns: The views expressed in these commentaries reflect the views of the bylined author, not The Temple News.

Philadelphia can do better

Kevin Trainer explains that the state of the city rests in the hands of some less-than-desirable mayoral candidates. If Jim Kenney, long-time Philadelphia councilman and the city’s “progressive’s darling” runs—which he shouldhe will win.

“Maybe Philadelphia needs not a Lindbergh, but a sea captain who can dutifully avoid the icebergs. Unfortunately, the field as it stands contains neither.”

Vaccinations are a part of civic duty

Erin Edinger-Turoff comments on why vaccination is essential for all Americans. While our country provide us certain individual freedoms, she said, the scientific evidence supporting mass-vaccination is enough to enforce it in schools and places of work.

“Instead of speculating and perpetuating irrational fears surrounding medicine, Americans need to consider the facts.”

‘Kid gloves’ must come off for professors, students alike

Ian Fletcher is tired of classrooms being a free-for all for class clowns and for those taking the easy road. Both students and professors need to tighten up to have worthwhile discussions and productive semesters.

“It didn’t exactly feel right, but it’s hard to complain about getting hit with kid gloves. Some students enjoy sustaining themselves, while more advanced students enjoy a comfortable ride. Everybody wins, as long as you don’t focus on the working world.”

New ads divide communities

Jenny Roberts noticed the Cecil B. Moore subway station had been plastered with cherry and white advertisements, making the stop, which pays homage to one of Philadelphia’s most prominent African American civil rights leaders, almost unrecognizable to the community.

“While commemorative displays could serve as a promising olive branch, the real problem with Temple’s takeover of the Cecil B. Moore station is the lack of outreach to community members in the first place.”

Take responsibility, neighbors

When Paige Gross settled into her new neighborhood off campus, she realized trash and litter were signs of disrespect to the community, its residents and to the streets students have come to call home. The university stresses being good neighbors, so why aren’t students putting in some effort?

“It could be that many students do consider these dwellings their “temporary homes,” but the effect on the community could be a permanent one.”

Saying ‘locals’ should leave a bad taste in your mouth

Grace Shallow has only spent one semester at the university and has already recognized a part of Temple terminology as a huge disrespect: ‘locals’. She said using the term stigmatizes community residents, wipes away any good community relations between the university and the surrounding community.

“North Philadelphia has history that unaware students demean when they say “locals.”

School demolition warrants community collaboration

Michaela Winberg thinks that in the middle of a crumbling education system, Temple should do what it can to assist and comfort those losing schools and support systems. A good start: William Penn High School, which was bought by the university and is slated to become athletic fields and job-training facilities.

“If the university wants to show respect to the community, helping grieve the loss of a valued school would be a good start. If Temple takes away something important to the community, it should offer support in return.”