Shootings shake area near campus

Last week, two shootings involving police occurred within blocks of campus.

16thOxford_News_Feb9_ColinKerrigan-1
COLIN KERRIGAN TTN Philadelphia Police Department spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore says officers involved in an incident at 16th and Oxford streets did not sustain serious injuries.

Students were rocked last week when the news of two shootings within blocks of campus broke.
Around 6 p.m. on Feb. 3, two Philadelphia Police Department Highway Patrol officers got word of a robbery in progress in a residence on the 1800 block of North 18th Street, Philadelphia Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore said.

When the officers responded to the call, they saw three men inside the home committing the robbery. After one of the robbers saw officers through a window and began shooting at them, the officers returned fire, Vanore said. The three men attempted to exit the rear of the home, but an officer covering the exit intercepted them. Another exchange of gunfire occurred and one of the suspects, Lenford Fletcher, 31, of the 1200 block of Passamore Street, was wounded in the arm and arrested at the scene. Another suspect was arrested as well, while the third fled before police later apprehended him on the 1700 block of North Gratz Steet.

The other two suspects were identified as Mikle Eubanks, 29, of the 6700 block of Large Street and Jason Graddick, 31, of the 1100 block of the Windrim Avenue. All three were charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, burglary and related offenses, Vanore said.

At 9:30 p.m., officers from the 22nd District stopped a suspected stolen SUV at Girard Avenue and Broad Street. The driver drove off and was later trapped on Oxford Street near 16th Street between a Highway Patrol car and the 22nd District officers who followed the suspect.

In an attempt to escape, the suspect put the SUV in reverse then in drive, hitting and pinning the two Highway Patrol officers between their car and the SUV. One of the officers shot at the suspect, wounding him in the leg.

The suspect fled and was arrested 12 blocks away on the 1900 block of North 25th Street. The suspect, Andrew Bell, 35, of the 3300 block of Kensington Avenue was treated at Temple Hospital for his injuries. The two Highway Patrol officers were also treated but did not sustain any serious injuries.

Bell was charged with aggravated assault, attempted murder and possession of stolen property. He had 38 prior arrests.

Brian Dzenis can be reached at brian.dzenis@temple.edu.