Convention explores basic needs insecurities

Policymakers, advocates, faculty, students and researchers gathered in Mitten Hall on Monday for the second annual #RealCollege national convention. The two-day convention, organized by higher education professor Sara Goldrick-Rab, will be held from Oct. 23-24

JAMIE COTTRELL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Policymakers, advocates, faculty, students and researchers gathered in Mitten Hall on Monday for the second annual #RealCollege national convention. The two-day convention, organized by higher education professor Sara Goldrick-Rab, will be held from Oct. 23-24 and focus on college food and housing insecurity.

Community College of Philadelphia student Mary Baxter described her struggle of balancing student life, being a single mother and being homeless during one of the day’s panels, called #RealCollege, Real Life: Performance and Film. Baxter’s 9-year-old son Rasir performed a song he wrote himself.

Participants were encouraged to network with other attendees in between speakers and performances in order to address and implement systemic change for food and housing resources.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this slideshow misspelled Rasir Baxter’s name and incorrectly stated his age. This information has been corrected to reflect the accurate information.