Philly Zine Fest showcases printmakers, DIY artists

Buying, trading, and creating were three commonalities between all of the stands at Philly Zine Fest. Organizer, Dre Grigoropol, said according to the Facebook Event, the 14th annual event attracted approximately 600 guests to the

MARGO REED FOR THE TEMPLE NEWS

Buying, trading, and creating were three commonalities between all of the stands at Philly Zine Fest.

Organizer, Dre Grigoropol, said according to the Facebook Event, the 14th annual event attracted approximately 600 guests to the Rotunda on 40th Street near Walnut August 28, 2016. Zine creators often trade among themselves and sell zines ranging from pay as you wish to $20.

“Almost every table is different from each other”, Ken Amato, a 2002 Temple CLA Alumnus and organizer for the festival said. Amato also has a table with his comic zines for sale. The festival included some zines entitled “Moviejawn”, “Dirty Corners”, and “Hoax”.

“I would say it attracts anyone who is into the DIY aesthetic, regardless of what walk of life you come from,” Amato said.

Attendee, Rebecca Rozek, came with three other friends, Sarah Hansen
Xihe Xun and Shuhan Li. They had never been at a zine festival, and Rozek said she was interested in finding zines that would be enjoyable for students at her after school reading program. They had their caricature drawn by Salvatore Marrone, a vendor at the event.

Li, an intercultural communications student at Penn, had never heard of zines when she moved to the United States from China, or from Missouri to Philadelphia.

“It’s amazing,” Li described Philly Zine Fest. “I don’t think we have those kinds of things in China. It’s an adventure.”