Al Golden accepts head coaching job at Miami

Multiple media outlets have reported that football coach Al Golden has accepted an offer to become the head coach at the University of Miami on Sunday. Miami had expressed interest in Golden after firing coach

Multiple media outlets have reported that football coach Al Golden has accepted an offer to become the head coach at the University of Miami on Sunday. Miami had expressed interest in Golden after firing coach Randy Shannon. He is expected to be introduced as Miami’s head coach on Monday.

Golden has compiled a 27-34 record in five seasons with the Cherry and White. In his final two seasons, he posted the first back-to-back winning seasons since 1978 and 1979, when Wayne Hardin coached the team. Coincidentally, Golden took Temple to its first bowl game since 1979 when the team played in the EagleBank Bowl in 2009, where the Owls lost to UCLA, 30-21.

The team showed improvement each season, going from 1-11, 4-8, 5-7, and finally had two winning seasons with 9-4 and 8-4 record. In 2009, he was the Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year.

According to a press release from Temple athletics, Temple will begin the search for a new head coach immediately.

“Al Golden did not just win games at Temple University, but he built a football program, and he did it the right way,” Athletic Director Bill Bradshaw said in a statement. “He engineered one of the most remarkable turnarounds in Division I history, and not only did he turn Temple football around, he did it in such a way that it will last long after his departure. The turnaround was not only seen on the gridiron, but also in the classroom, with unprecedented academic success. He also instilled core values evidenced by the team’s outstanding community service record.

“He hands off a program that is built for success, and for that Temple University is grateful. We wish him, his wife Kelly, and his entire family all the best at the University of Miami,” Bradshaw added.

Brian Dzenis can be reached at brian.dzenis@temple.edu.

2 Comments