Athletics unleashes Internet streaming

The Temple Athletic Department in conjunction with the broadcasting, telecommunication and mass media program launched a new way for fans to get their daily fix of Temple sports. The new program, called OwlAccess, allows users

The Temple Athletic Department in conjunction with the broadcasting, telecommunication and mass media program launched a new way for fans to get their daily fix of Temple sports.

The new program, called OwlAccess, allows users to view live or taped games via the Internet. With a three-camera set-up and a system called a Tricaster Pro Switcher, fans can switch camera and display graphics during the live feed of the game. Thus far, OwlAccess has produced two volleyball games.

OwlAccess is free to Temple students and is available for a small fee to other interested viewers.

“This is our way of keeping up with the new media,” said Larry Dougherty, assistant athletic director of sports media relations. “One hope is that one day we will be able to show every game and event, live or tapped.”

Play-by-play color commentary, camera work and producing is provided by students in the BTMM program.

“Not only is this a great way to watch a game, but this is also a great way for our students in BTMM to gain experience,” Dougherty said. “We are also trying to make this be worth credit for these students one day.”

When asked where Temple stands compared to other city schools, Dougherty said “the other schools are at a disadvantage when it comes to the talent we have here in the BTMM program. These students and the excellent faculty will make OwlAccess the best it can be.”

There are some issues concerning broadcasting rights which will delay the showing of football games and some other sports, but Dougherty hopes that will eventually change.

“CSTV [College Sports Television] has been a big help and will one day be the main contributor to OwlAccess reaching its potential,” Dougherty said.

Along with Dougherty, Matt Fine and Dr. Betsy Leebron Tutelman, both BTMM professors, have helped this program get off the ground.

“We are in a day where everything can be found on the Internet,” Dougherty said.

A complete schedule of OwlAccess games and coverage can be found on the athletic department’s Web site, Owlsports.com.

Anyone interested in working for OwlAccess may contact Dougherty at larry.dougherty@temple.edu.

Todd Miller can be reached at todd.miller@temple.edu