Baseball drops abbreviated double-header

Losing streak runs up to seven.

Tuesday’s series opener against Radford University was postponed due to a small snow storm and freezing temperatures in Virginia. The postponing was the baseball team’s third series in a row to have its opener get bumped.

The teams have agreed to play in two seven-inning games on Wednesday.

The losing streak continued, however, as the Owls dropped the first game 6-3 before falling in the second match-up 3-1. Temple never led in either contest.

On short rest from the weekend, the first game was a bullpen affair for the Owls. Five different pitchers threw less than two innings each.

Radford scored a run in the first inning and led 1-0 until the top of the fourth inning when sophomore outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan singled home a run.

The tied score was short lived, as Radford was able to load the bases in the bottom of the fifth against Temple pitcher Patrick Vanderslice. The freshman was removed and senior reliever Ryan Kuehn wasn’t able to get out of the jam, surrendering three runs – all charged to Vanderslice.

The Owls answered right back in the top of the sixth inning when senior first basemen Robert Amaro smacked a two-run home run into left field, pulling Temple to within one at 4-3.

But Kuehn was touched up for two more runs in the bottom of the sixth, and Temple was set down in order in the seventh and final inning.

After a 45-minute break between games, the teams took to the field for the second game.

It was another “pitcher by committee” game from the Owls, who have been searching for consistency on the mound. Junior Zach White got the start on the bump and Radford welcomed him with three first inning runs on three hits and a walk.

Temple got a run back in the top of the second on junior second baseman Reyn Sugai’s RBI single which made the score 3-1 Radford. The game went scoreless the rest of the way as Temple mustered four hits during the seven inning contest.

The Owls were supposed to open up their home schedule this weekend but again the weather put a damper on that.

Instead, Temple will play Niagara University as well as Big 5 rivals Villanova and St. Joseph’s over the weekend. All games will be played at St. Joe’s.

Temple will open its weekend up with a 10:45 a.m. first pitch vs. Niagara on Friday before taking on Villanova and St. Joe’s on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, with both games scheduled for 2:45 p.m. first pitch’s.

Jeffrey Neiburg can be reached at jeffrey.neiburg@temple.edu or on Twitter @Jeff_Neiburg.