Basketball Preview: 5 Burning Questions (Men’s)

Will the small roster hurt the Owls? Can Temple upset one of the conference leaders? How will the team adjust to the loss of five key players? Is the tournament streak in jeopardy? Which of the underclassmen will have a breakout season?

1. Will the small roster hurt the Owls?

Only two freshmen are joining the team as the Owls are losing five players from last season, giving Temple the smallest roster in the conference. Going 10 deep will give several players a chance to prove themselves this season.

2. Can Temple upset one of the conference leaders?

Last year, the Owls upset No. 3 Syracuse at Madison Square Garden in what turned out to be one of the biggest victories in recent memory. With games against defending champion Louisville, Connecticut and Memphis, Temple will have chances to take down some of the nation’s best.

3. How will the team adjust to the loss of five key players?

The Owls are losing several impact players from last season, including Khalif Wyatt and Scootie Randall. Will Cummings and Anthony Lee will be relied upon to fill the shoes Wyatt and Randall left behind. Dalton Pepper, the lone senior on the team, is set to receive increased playing time as well after averaging just 11.3 minutes per game last season.

4. Is the tournament streak in jeopardy?

Temple is one of only eight teams in the country to have made appearances in the last six straight NCAA tournaments. Last season, the Owls took down North Carolina State before falling to top-seeded Indiana. With an inexperienced roster and increased competition, the Owls will have little room for error if they want their tournament streak to continue.

5. Which of the underclassmen will have a breakout season?

With the short-list of athletes on this year’s roster, each of the underclassmen are expected to receive playing time. Josh Brown and Mark Williams will be called upon to adjust quickly, while Devontae Watson, Daniel Dingle and Quenton DeCosey will need to raise the bar from their freshman seasons.