Basketball Preview: Women’s Games to Watch

vs. Rutgers (Nov. 21, McGonigle Hall)

With the losses of Khadijah Rushdan and April Sykes, Rutgers’ two leading scorers last season, senior center Monique Oliver is expected to step up and be the centerpiece for the Scarlet Knights. Oliver led the team in rebounds and blocks last season, averaging 11.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game with a total of 58 blocks.

At Michigan State (Dec. 29, East Lansing, Mich.)

Heading into the season, the Spartans have received AP National Rankings votes. The scariest part about this match-up: Michigan State was 11-3 at home last season. Some key returning players are sophomore guard Kiana Johnson and sophomore forward Becca Mills. Johnson led the team in assists last season, while Mills averaged  7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 17 minutes per game.

At Georgetown (Jan. 2, Washington, D.C.)

Senior guard Sugar Roberts has averaged at least 17 points per game in all three years at Georgetown. Last season, she led the Hoyas in points per game (18.5), steals (71), free throw percentage (.819), and was third on the team in rebounds per game (5.4).

At St. Bonaventure (Jan. 13, Olean, N.Y.)

The Bonnies are receiving preseason AP National Rankings votes for the first time in program history. St. Bonaventure dominated the A-10 last season, with a 31-4 overall record and a perfect 14-0 in-conference record. The Bonnies beat the Owls by nine points in January.

At Dayton (Feb. 24, Dayton, Ohio)

Good news for the Owls is that forward Justine Raterman, who was one of the most feared players in the A-10, graduated last spring. However, sophomore guard Andrea Hoover and junior center Cassie Sant are returning players that could present problems regardless of who is defending them.