Christmas, Tyndale ignite Owls to victory

The men’s basketball team rolled to its second straight victory behind the backcourt duo of Dionte Christmas and Mark Tyndale. The two guards combined for 39 points as Temple disposed of Bowling Green, 72-55, Saturday

The men’s basketball team rolled to its second straight victory behind the backcourt duo of Dionte Christmas and Mark Tyndale.

The two guards combined for 39 points as Temple disposed of Bowling Green, 72-55, Saturday at Anderson Arena, improving its record to 2-3.

Christmas scored a team-high 20 points and Tyndale chipped in with 19. Perhaps more impressive was their play on the glass. Tyndale reeled in eight rebounds – which tied him for the team-lead with freshman Lavoy Allen – and Christmas added seven. The team rebounding helped the Owls edge Bowling Green on the boards, 36-34.

Luis Guzman earned the start at guard in favor of Semaj Inge, who saw just two minutes. Guzman notched four assists to two turnovers while Tyndale led the Owls with six assists.

The Owls shot 68.1 percent in the second half, when they ran away with the game. They entered the period tied 31-31 with Bowling Green (3-2). The Owls opened the half with an 18-6 run, which gave them a 49-37 lead with 12:16 remaining. Bowling Green drew within 10, but the Owls followed with an 18-8 run to cap the game.

The Owls travel to Akron Monday for a 7 p.m. contest.

John Kopp can be reached at john.kopp@temple.edu.