Dayton hands women’s basketball team its fourth consecutive loss

Now is not the time for a team to playing its worst basketball of the season. The women’s basketball team dropped its fourth game in a row in a 62-49 loss to Dayton at University

Now is not the time for a team to playing its worst basketball of the season.

The women’s basketball team dropped its fourth game in a row in a 62-49 loss to Dayton at University of Dayton Arena in the Owls’ Atlantic Ten Conference opener.

The Owls (7-10, 0-1 A-10) were led in scoring by junior forward Shanea Cotton’s career-high 13 points. Freshman forward Lindsay Kimmel, who made her first career start, and sophomore guard LaKeisha Eaddy both added 12 points in the loss.

Senior guard Ashley Morris’ struggles continued, as she shot a dreadful 1-of-15 from the field, including 0-of-7 from three-point range against the Flyers (15-2, 1-0). Morris also turned the ball over four times and failed to reach double figures in points for the third straight game.

However, the Owls did lead throughout much of the first half, jumping out to an early lead and holding an advantage as high as eight points. But Dayton crept their way back, fueled by a 12-2 Flyers run late in the first half.

Things just got worse in the second half, as the Flyers opened things up with a 13-3 spurt and never looked back. In the end, the Owls shot 34 percent from the field and 25 percent from three-point range. They were also out-rebounded, 38-30, something that hasn’t happened very often this season.

The Owls continue conference play on Tuesday as they host St. Bonaventure (12-4, 0-1) at 7 p.m.

Todd Orodenker can be reached at todd.orodenker@temple.edu