Defender strives to spark lacrosse

Lauren Caminiti is a leader for lacrosse. For senior defender Lauren Caminiti, a North Penn High School product, playing collegiate lacrosse on the Division-I level was something she once dreamed about. “I never thought I’d

Lauren Caminiti is a leader for lacrosse.

For senior defender Lauren Caminiti, a North Penn High School product, playing collegiate lacrosse on the Division-I level was something she once dreamed about.

“I never thought I’d ever play Division-I lacrosse,” Caminiti said. “Never in a million years.”

A starter for all of her four collegiate years, Caminiti has established herself as one of the top defenders for the Owls and as a key influence both on and off the field.

Caminiti has taken the role of leader on the lacrosse team in stride.

“I guess I consider myself a leader,” Caminiti said. “I’m a pretty passionate player. I try to be the emotional leader and with communication on the field. I like to think that my teammates look up to me.”

Caminiti has also led by example.  Her 14 ground balls rank fifth on the team and her seven caused turnovers rank third.  She also earned the Atlantic Ten Conference Defensive Player of the Week honor during Feb. 20 to 26 in which she collected six ground balls and caused two turnovers.

“[Caminiti] is one of our leading defenders and by far the vocal leader on our team,” coach Bonnie Rosen said. “She is quite the emotional player and a big key to keeping the defense going and staying aggressive. She’s been a critical aspect to our defense all year.”

“Leadership helps everywhere,” Rosen added. “Everyone knows if [Caminiti] is on the field or not. That’s the type of impact she has. Her teammates look to her to set the tempo and be the leader.”

Caminiti began improving during her time at North Penn High School. An honorable mention in the All-Suburban League after her junior year was followed up by a senior season that resulted in second team All-Suburban League honors and recruiting looks from Temple. Soon enough, she was a starting defender for the Owls.

“It’s definitely a dream come true for me playing here,” Caminiti said. “I love it and it’s awesome to feel this way every day and to play lacrosse on this level. I’m very thankful to come out and play every day here and I love playing with this group of girls. I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.”

Rosen, who is in her fifth year of coaching, has seen Caminiti develop as an Owl.

“Her confidence has continued to grow,” Rosen said. “She has become a much more composed player in the way she goes about things on the field.

“She’s always been an aggressive on-ball defender,” Rosen added. “She’s learned how to balance that with good containing defense as she’s gone through her career at Temple and it’s made her an excellent all-around defender.”

Temple (8-7, 2-3 A-10) last won the lacrosse title when Caminiti was a senior at North Penn in 2008. Now in her senior season at Temple, Caminiti is looking to help Temple capture its sixth program title.

“We’re an experienced team,” Caminiti said. “We have nine seniors in our everyday lineup, that’s a lot of experience there. This is our year, and we’re ready to take [the title].”

“This has been one of my better years,” Caminiti added. “I couldn’t play as well as I have been without this group of girls around me and their support. I’d like to think that I’m going to keep on this roll, but they deserve all of the credit.”

Drew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu.