Double overtime win caps season

The men’s soccer team gave its fans an ending to remember Sunday against Massachusetts in the final game of the season. Freshman midfielder Brian Weinhardt scored the game’s only goal in the second overtime period,

The men’s soccer team gave its fans an ending to remember Sunday against Massachusetts in the final game of the season.

Freshman midfielder Brian Weinhardt scored the game’s only goal in the second overtime period, snapping Temple’s five-game losing streak with a 1-0 win at Ambler Field.

“I just wanted to redirect it,” said Weinhardt, who became the fifth freshman to score this season.

The Owls ended their season 5-11-2 overall and 1-7-1 in the Atlantic Ten Conference.

The Owls honored seniors Mike Minai, Trevor Lyman, David Suah and Tony Pratico in a pre-game ceremony. Lyman and Pratico split time in the net and shut out the Minutemen to improve Temple’s record on senior day to 4-1 in the last five seasons.

The Owls played aggressively throughout the game, out-shooting the Minutemen 27-8, despite the ejection of Kenechuku Nwanah in the 97th minute.

The first half featured strong play from the two goalies. Lyman, a transfer from Saint Joseph’s, came into the contest owning a 2.17 goals against average. Zack Simmons also had a solid first half for the Minutemen (11-7-0 overall, 6-3-0 A-10). A former A-10 Rookie of the Year, Simmons entered the contest with 59 saves.

Pratico took over in goal for Temple in the second half and in the two overtime periods. The Philadelphia native entered the contest allowing 29 goals in 34 career games with seven shutouts (three this season) and a 1.00 goals against average, which ranks atop the all-time Temple list.

“In the beginning of the season, we made little mistakes, but now we’re united,” Pratico said.

“Finally,” coach David MacWilliams said. “We played well and will be a team to contend within the A-10 in the future.”

And for the four seniors, MacWilliams said, “Thanks for the years here and good luck in the future.”

Joe Polinsky can be reached at jpolinsky@temple.edu.