Early goal helps Quinnipiac field hockey beat Owls

The Owls remain winless in Big East Conference play after their 1-0 loss on Friday to Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Connecticut.

Freshman midfielder Dani Batze dribbles up the field in the Owls’ 4-1 loss to St. Joseph’s on Aug. 25 at Howarth Field. | JAMIE COTTRELL / TTN FILE PHOTO

For the fifth time in conference play, Temple (4-11, 0-6 Big East Conference) conceded the first goal of the game on Friday.

Quinnipiac University (5-11, 3-3 Big East) sophomore forward Marisa Larkin scored in the 15th minute to give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead in Connecticut. Sophomore goalkeeper Livy Golini made six saves to make Larkin’s goal stand up and shutout Temple for the third time this season.

Temple, which was already eliminated from postseason contention before the game, has lost five of its last six games. The Owls took two penalty corners in the first 20 minutes, but both shots went wide.

Sophomore goalkeeper Maddie Lilliock tied her season-high 11 saves. She made her first start since Sept. 29 against Georgetown University. Freshman midfielder Dani Batze made her team-leading third defensive save of the season in the 50th minute to keep the Owls’ deficit at one.

The Owls will play Fairfield University on Sunday in Connecticut before they close the season with home games against Liberty University and Lafayette College next weekend.