Early matchup challenges Owls

The Owls opened up their season against No.3 Maryland on Friday at Geasey Field.

Sarah Deck is no stranger to difficult tests early on in the season.

During her four years on the team, the senior midfielder and her team have kicked off the season against a Top 10 opponent twice, including a 4-2 loss to the University of Maryland Friday at Geasey Field.

The Terps are currently ranked third in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association.

“We’ve seen the top now, which is fantastic early on in the season.” Deck said.  “Our coaches in the past have planned that schedule perfectly so we know what we’re going against later in the season.”

This season, the Owls will also play Connecticut, the NFHCA’s No.1 ranked team,, Penn State, T-No. 7, and  Old Dominion University, the No. 16 team.

Coach Marybeth Freeman said the team’s schedule is designed to improve the team’s play.

In order for us to get better we have to play better teams,” she said. “We have to play the best team in order to get better. I think its great to start the season off with a No. 3  team.”

Senior forward/midfielder Alyssa Delp said the loss to Maryland is a way for the team to see how they compare to the country’s elite and what they need to improve upon.

“We just take one game at a time striving toward that Big East Championship and that National Championship,” Delp said.  “[Saturday] we’re going to be fixing what we didn’t do right today and making what we did well even better so we can prepare to play Towson on Sunday. “

The Owls will take on Towson University Sunday in College Park, Maryland.

“We’re mad, we’re going out with a vengeance,” Delp said. “We’re sorry Towson, but we’re taking it out on them.”

Matt Rego can be reached at matt.anthony.rego@temple.edu