For transfer, playing near home is ideal

Last season Jamie Adams and the Rhode Island field hockey team defeated the Owls, 3-1. This season Adams will be playing for Temple, as the Owls try to knock off a Rams team Adams played

Last season Jamie Adams and the Rhode Island field hockey team defeated the Owls, 3-1. This season Adams will be playing for Temple, as the Owls try to knock off a Rams team Adams played for in two seasons prior.

Adams transferred to Temple and will join the team in its upcoming season. “After the season, I realized it was time to leave. I wanted to come closer to home,” said Adams, who grew-up in a Philadelphia suburb.

Owls coach Amanda Janney, who is pleased with Adams’ decision to transfer, said she likes the sophomore’s abilities and what she will bring to the team. “She has great athleticism, quickness and game sense,” Janney said.

Adams, the 2005 Atlantic Ten Conference Rookie of the Year, said she is already off to a great start in spring practice and is thrilled to be home. “I really like the team and the players,” Adams said.

“She’s doing very well,” Janney added. “She is already training and practicing with the team. She’s meshing well with the team.”

Growing up in Langhorne and attending Neshaminy High, Adams said she feels more comfortable closer to home, which could improve her game.

“I’m familiar with the area,” she said. “There are lots of familiar faces. Here, you can go home on weekends. At Rhode Island, the only time I went home was for holidays.”

Last season the Owls’ 13 wins were their most since 1991, but they have not been able to get by Richmond, which has won the A-10 Championship the last five seasons. The Spiders beat the Owls, 2-1, in overtime in the semifinal round of the A-10 tournament.

“It left a bad taste in our mouths, but we’ve already responded with a great spring practice,” said Janney. “We’re very optimistic with the youth of our team from last season.”

While playing for URI, Adams was in Richmond when the Owls suffered the loss and can tell the Owls are ready to bounce back.

“They are very determined,” she said. “Winning is important to them.” With the youth of the team, returning players improving, Adams must still earn a spot here, despite her success at Rhode Island.

“I’m going to have to try to work hard for a spot on the team,” she said.One of the obstacles she must overcome is making the shift from a grass to a turf field.

“It’s a completely different style but it’s easier to play with good players,” Adams said.

“We ask Jamie to be patient with us, do her best and get used to our playing style,” Janney said. “She has shown she is very coachable and acclimating to our playing style.” Janney and Adams agree on improving from last season.

“I expect us to do better than last season,” Janney said. “[If we] do a lot better in conference play, [it] will put us in a better position in the A-10.”

“Try to fit my way into the team and try to win the A-10,” Adams said. The season begins next fall, but as for now, Adams knows there is no place like home.

“I’m just happy here,” she said.

Pete Dorchak can be reached at pdorchak@temple.edu.