Freshman Wren capitalizes on offseason training

Trey Wren used a year at a golf academy to prepare for college golf.

After graduating Nansemond-Suffolk Academy in 2014, Trey Wren took a year off.

With the intention of improving his golf game, Wren opted to attend International Junior Golf Academy in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

In the Owls’ first event of the fall season at the Hartford Hawk Invitational—Wren’s first college event—the freshman finished 56th and was 14 strokes over par.

One week later at the Quechee Club Collegiate Challenge, Wren finished 46th. He followed with a 30th place finish at the Wolfpack Intercollegiate from Oct. 5-6, 2015.

“I was definitely a little uncomfortable in my first couple tournaments,” Wren said. “Right now I’m just learning how to manage my game and how to play. If you have good fundamentals, that’s great but if you can’t score it doesn’t matter.”

Last weekend in the Cornell Spring South Invitational, Wren finished tied for 11th overall, which included a final round one-under 71. Wren finished tied for 21st at the Furman Intercollegiate from March 25-27.

“He’s that kid who you know would run through the wall for you,” coach Brian Quinn said. “He’s made the adjustments he’s needed to super quick because he works really hard.”

“His golf swing as a freshman is probably, technically, as sound of a golf swing as you’re going to see for any freshman in the country,” Quinn added.

Senior Brandon Matthews said the growth in Wren’s golf game from the fall to now couldn’t be more evident after his final round 71 at the Cornell Spring South Invitational.

“I think that was the best round of golf he has played in his life,” Matthews said. “If you take Trey back five or six months, there’s no chance he would shoot close to even par.”

Both Matthews and Quinn have noticed maturity from Wren throughout the season.

“Trey works so hard,” Matthews said. “He deserves every low score he gets and then some.”

For Wren, adjusting to life off of the golf course is still a work in progress.

After playing 10 tournaments this season, Wren is growing accustomed to the routine that comes with playing double-digit tournaments in 2015-16.

“It’s definitely a ton to balance and manage,” Wren said. “Golf-wise I’m pretty happy with where I’m at right now.”

In the team’s final tournament before the American Athletic Conference Championships, Wren tied for 20th at the Princeton Invitational last weekend.

“I’d like to just keep progressing the way I have been and keep getting a little better with each competitive round,” Wren said.”

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6.