Golf can’t maintain first-round scores in California

The Owls finished 55 over par on par-4’s and placed 19th of 20 teams at the Stockton Pacific Invite in Stockton, California on Saturday.

Freshman Dawson Anders practices on the driving range at BQ Golf Academy in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania on Sept. 13. | OLIVIA O’NEILL / FILE PHOTO

Temple got off to a strong start, but could not seem to rebound on the weekend, finishing 19th out of 20 teams on Saturday at the Stockton Pacific Invite in Stockton, California.

In the past two matches, the Owls posted their lowest scores in the opening rounds. At the Firestone Invitational and Georgetown Intercollegiate, Temple posted scores of 301 and 310, respectively.

But at the Stockton Pacific Invitational, the Owls recorded their best score in round one, carding a 7-over 295.

Redshirt junior John Barone tied for 17th with a two-under 70 in round one, followed by junior Trey Wren, and freshmen Dawson Anders and Liam McGrath, respectively.  

But the Owls weren’t able to maintain their performances on day two and three at the Stockton Pacific Invite.

Temple couldn’t take advantage of par-4 scoring, shooting 55 over par, which put the Owls at second to last for the weekend. The Owls also struggled at maintaining pars. At the Stockton Pacific Invite, Temple had 150 pars, 31 pars less than tournament winner Santa Clara University.

The Owls rounded out their weekend with a 9-over 297. Junior Sam Soeth rebounded from a first round 80, shooting a 2-over 74. Wren and Barone also shot a 74, Anders shot a 75 and McGrath shooting a 76 on the final day.

The Owls return to Philadelphia on Nov. 4 to defend their title at the Philadelphia City 6 Tournament at the Union League Golf Club at The Union League Golf Club at Torresdale in Northeast Philadelphia.