Howell earns second place at Junior Olympic Championships

Sophomore epee Kristin Howell is having a season to remember. Last weekend, the 6-foot-2 fencer earned a second place finish in the Women’s Under-20 epee event at the U.S. Fencing Junior Olympic Championships in Charlotte,

Sophomore epee Kristin Howell is having a season to remember.

Last weekend, the 6-foot-2 fencer earned a second place finish in the Women’s Under-20 epee event at the U.S. Fencing Junior Olympic Championships in Charlotte, N.C. This was Howell’s best performance since 2006 when she captured the Women’s Epee Championship at the Temple Open.

“It was unbelievable,” Howell said. “I never thought that I would actually be doing this”.

By making it to the gold medal event, Howell finished ahead of 173 other competitors from around the country. Texas’ Courtney Hurley, the top-ranked epee competitor in the country, topped Howell, 15-11, for the gold medal.

“This has really helped my confidence level,” Howell said. “I want to know I can continue to perform and do well.”

Sophomores Melissa Parker and Abigail Schifferle also participated in the Junior Olympic Championships. Parker, an All-American selection, finished 22nd in the Women’s Under-20 Foil event while Schifferle placed 46th.

Senior co-captain Samantha Myles said she was confident in the trio’s potential and ability to succeed.

Coach Nikki Franke said she was impressed with how the team came together.

Over the weekend, the Owls competed in the National Intercollegiate Women’s Fencing Tournament in New York City. Temple not only captured its 12th consecutive championship at the event, but swept all three team and individual events.

It marked the first time in school history the team captured all six events at the NIWFA Championships.

Junior Nina Gernes placed first in the foil competition, while freshman Alyssa Lombardi came in first in the epee and sophomore Christie Griffith took the win in the sabre.

This Saturday, the team will compete in the NCAA Regional Tournament in Madison, N.J.

Joe Polinsky can be reached at jpolinsky@temple.edu.