Ice hockey falls to Rider

Third period dooms Owls.

After a hard luck second period that saw a flurry of shots with no result, Temple ice hockey was blitzed for four goals in the third period of its 6-2 loss at the hands of Rider University Saturday night.

Due to coach Jerry Roberts’ one-game suspension as a result of last Saturday’s late-game brawl at Rowan University, assistant coach Chris Mariellotook over the coaching duties in the loss.

The night started well for the Owls when freshman forward Jayson Marbach stick-lifted his way past a Rider defenseman and  snapped a wrist shot through Rider sophomore goalie Nate Kholodenko for the game’s first goal. Freshman forward Cody Vassa would add another to give Temple an early 2-0 lead in the first period.

Rider would respond with two quick goals to knot the game at two before intermission.

A scoreless gridlock of a second period ensued, with both teams unable to capitalize on numerous scoring chances.

Rider sophomore forward Matt Apgar then ended the scoreless spell and put the Broncs in front when he went in on goal and lifted the puck past sophomore goalie Eric Semborski for the eventual game-winner. Rider then went on to tack on three goals in the period to cap the scoring.

Despite Temple’s quick start, Rider stormed back with six unanswered goals in all and peppered Semborski with 46 shots as opposed to Temple’s 31.

“We’ve had spurts,” senior defenseman Jordan Lawrence said.“That’s been the story of our season. We look good from anywhere from five to 20 minutes until one or two things go wrong. It’s frustrating. When one thing goes wrong, everything else seems to go wrong and small things lead to a lot larger things such as four goals in the third period like tonight.”

The loss was Temple’s third consecutive defeat as the Owls dropped to 0-4 in Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association play.

Temple (7-5) will return home Friday to take on Saint Joseph’s University at Northeast Skatezone. Game time is set for 9:20 p.m.