Losing continues for men’s tennis

The Owls remained winless on Saturday, losing to Xavier.

On Saturday, the men’s tennis team lost to Xavier 6-1.

The Owls fell to Drexel 4-3 earlier in the week. One of the problems in the Drexel match was doubles, as the Owls recorded all three of their points in singles.  Coach Steve Mauro said his doubles teams competed better against Xavier.

“We lost the doubles point but the matches were close,” Mauro said.  “Our doubles are going to get better as we move along.”

Despite the fact that he saw improvements in doubles, the 6-1 score was nothing new for Temple. The Owls saw their record drop to 0-7 for the spring season and have recorded one point or less in five matches this season.

“Xavier was a good team, so I tip my hat to them, but the final score didn’t really indicate how close the match was,” Mauro said.

This has been a similar narrative for Temple so far, as Mauro said he believes lots of the one-sided scores haven’t told the whole story about how each one of Temple’s losses ended up. Mauro said the schedule is one of the reasons he feels his team is playing well and just not seeing the results.

“We are playing the toughest teams that we play all year in the beginning of the season. I think the guys are still motivated,” Mauro said. “We’re going to do some different things at practice this week and just try and work on them performing at an even higher level.”

Mauro also said he feels the shift on the calendar from winter into spring will benefit his team.

“I think once the weather breaks and we start playing outside that will be to our advantage and help our mindset,” Mauro said.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6.