Matthews finishes tied for 39th at NCAA Championships

The sophomore failed to advance to the finals of the event.

Sophomore Brandon Matthews finished tied for 39th at the NCAA Raleigh Regional after shooting a seven-over 220 over the three-day tournament. Matthews, who was the first Owl to participate in the NCAA Championship since 1997, failed to advance to the finals of the event.

“It was disappointing,” Matthews said. “I missed a lot of opportunities … pretty disappointed about the opportunities I let slide.”

The first day of competition was suspended due to rain and Matthews was only able to complete nine holes. He was even par, which tied him for 26th. Matthews was forced to finish his round on the second day of competition.

Matthews responded with a three-under 68 on the second day. He started off the day strong- he was four-under after the front nine and was five-under after a birdie on the 11th hole. But he struggled on the final seven holes and he finished the day with two bogeys on the final two holes. After two days Matthews’ one-over 143 tied him for 29th overall.

The final day of competition was highlighted by a quadruple bogey on the 15th, which was his sixth hole of the round. He finished even par over the final 12 holes, with a pair of bogeys and birdies.

“It was just one bad swing,” Matthews said. “Posting a big number happens … you have to forget about it.”

Matthews now begins his summer schedule. His next tournament is the British Amateur Open from June 16-21. He will participate in six other events, including the US Amateur Championships from August 11-17.

Michael Guise can be reached at michaelguise@temple.edu or on Twitter @MikeG2522.