Matthews ready for heavy summer workload

After an impressive junior season, Brandon Mathews has set his schedule this summer to prepare for his senior year.

Brandon Matthews will be busy this summer.

After a junior season where he totaled four tournament titles, Matthews — who finished in the Top 10 in 11 of the 13 tournaments he played in last season,  is set to begin a demanding summer schedule where he will play in 10 individual events.

Matthews’ summer schedule is set to tee of June 10 with the Monroe Invitational at Monroe Golf Club in Pittsford, New York.

The rest of June will consist of the Sunnehanna Amateur Tournament for Champions at Sunnehanna Country Club in Johnstown, Pennsylvania— where he was forced to withdraw last year from the tournament after three rounds — beginning on June 17 and the Northeast Amateur at Wannamoisett Country Club in Rumford, Rhode Island  on June 23

But a busy schedule is something the Dupont, PA native —  who set a school record with a 71-stroke average last season— has become accustomed to.

Last summer, Matthews played a summer schedule where he participated in six tournaments. He said that he has learned a lot compared to where he was entering the summer of 2014.

“I realize how lucky I am to do the things I do and it’s definitely a privilege,” Matthews said.

This summer, there are a few more gaps in the schedule for Matthews, as he wanted to allot more time to rest heading into his senior season at Temple.

“Last year was big for me because I learned how much I can do and so I think I was able to spread things out a little more,” Matthews added.

While the fall and spring seasons offer Matthews an opportunity to bond with his fellow Owls, the summer tournaments he participates in are vastly differently and enable Matthews to make new acquaintances.

“It’s not even close,” Matthews said in regard to comparing his summer to his fall and spring. “It’s very intense and the opportunities you get and the people you get to meet is really cool.”

As he’s set to begin another summer, Matthews believes he’s in good shape.

“My game is really good right now,” Matthews said. “I’ve matured as a person, I’ve matured as a golfer, and I feel like I’ve been getting better day by day.”

Greg Frank can be reached at Greg.Frank@Temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6