McCluskey, Janneh highlight Colonial Relays

The Owls claimed three first-place marks en route to a fifth-place finish at the Colonial Relays this weekend.

The women’s track & field team claimed three first-place finishes this weekend at the 50th annual Colonial Relays at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.

On Friday, sophomore Jimmia McCluskey highlighted the Owls’ first day in the festivities by earning a first-place finish in the long jump with a mark of 5.80 meters.

Graduate-student Nicole Cummings earned third place in the event with a mark of 5.57 meters, while sophomore Bionca St. Fleur finished 10th with a mark of 5.39 meters.

Cummings also finished sixth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.26 seconds, which qualified her for the hurdle finals on Saturday. She eventually placed sixth in the final with a mark of 14.48 seconds.

McCluskey also finished ninth in the 100-meter dash with a time of 12.24 seconds, as well as 11th in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.98 seconds.

Senior Andrea Mathis placed 18th in the 800-meter run with her new personal-best time of 2 minutes, 22.34 seconds, and St. Fleur placed fourth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.56 seconds.

In the 400-meter dash, sophomore Kenya Gaston finished fifth in 57.39 seconds, while junior Demeshia Davis finished seventh in 57.49 seconds.

Senior Jenna Dubrow added a sixth-place mark of 10:11.02 in the 3,000-meter run.

The second day of competition was highlighted by two first-place finishes; the first claimed by junior Jamila Janneh in the triple jump with her mark of 11.75 meters, and the other claimed by the 4×200-meter relay team of St. Fleur, McCluskey, Cummings and junior Imani Shell with a time of 1:40.30.

“It was good to see her getting back on the track after missing most of the indoor season,” first-year Temple coach Elvis Forde said. “She had a very good race and we can really see she is going faster.”

The 4×100-meter relay team of McCluskey, St. Fleur, junior Courtney Mitchell and Davis took second place in the event, finishing in 46.91 seconds.

Sophomore Sydnee Jacques finished fourth in the triple jump with her mark of 11.40 meters.

The 4×400-meter relay team of Davis, senior Hollis Coleman, sophomore Kenya Gaston and junior Imani Shell claimed silver with a time of 3 minutes, 48.60 seconds.

The Owls finished in fifth overall in the rankings out of 49 teams in the competition.

“It was really good atmosphere to get a good weekend [of competition],” Forde said. “We are looking forward to the rest of the season, the weather is getting warmer [and] the kids’ spirits are getting higher.”

The Owls will continue competition at the Mason Spring Invitational at George Mason University on April 11.

Tyler DeVice can be reached at tyler.device@temple.edu.