Men’s soccer knocks off Duquesne

Freshmen Jared Martinelli and Jake Lister combine for Owls’ two points in a 2-1 win.

Freshman Jared Martinelli and junior defenseman Jake Lister each capped off a great weekend with two more strong performances today.

Martinelli and Lister were able to hook up twice today, knocking off Duquesne 2-1 for the men’s soccer team’s second Atlantic 10 Conference win of 2012.

The Owls struck first in the 37th minute when Martinelli hit a corner kick into the box, finding an open Lister for the goal. Lister, who had just entered the game, was in perfect position for his second tally of the weekend. He scored the game-winner in overtime against St. Bonaventure on Friday

Duquesne senior midfielder Joshua Patterson tied the game in the 47th minute. Patterson scored both goals in last years meeting between these two teams.

Martinelli notched the game-winner after Lister split the ball between two Duquesne defenders, finding the freshman standout for the open header.

Martinelli and Lister have a combined nine points the last two games.

“We had great chemistry today,” Martinelli said. “[Lister] gave me a great ball and I gave him one. He had a huge impact on the game today.”

Junior goaltender Bobby Rosato, played all 90 minutes of today’s game after having to leave Friday’s game due to a hamstring injury. Rosato, who faced only two shots on the day, appears to be all right moving forward.

After a weekend of some really good soccer, the Owls are now 2-0 in A-10 play. They also improved to 5-0 at home. Their overall record stands at 6-4-1.

“We’ve been talking about how you got to win your home games,” coach David MacWilliams said. “We have some tough road opponents that’s going to make it difficult. So when you have the opportunity to win games at home you have to take advantage of that.”

The Owls are off until next weekend when they travel to New England for conference match-ups against Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Tyler Sablich can be reached at tyler.sablich@temple.edu or on Twitter @TySablich.