Men’s soccer falls in heated match

After leading 3-1 at the half, men’s soccer gave way to the Stony Brook Seawolves in a 4-3 loss at the Temple/Penn Tournament finale last Sunday at Dunning-Cohen Champions’ Field. The Seawolves took the first

After leading 3-1 at the half, men’s soccer gave way to the Stony Brook Seawolves in a 4-3 loss at the Temple/Penn Tournament finale last Sunday at Dunning-Cohen Champions’ Field.

The Seawolves took the first lead in the game with an unassisted goal during the 23rd minute. But then the Cherry and White (3-4-0) fired back with a goal from sophomore defensive back Sawyer Hemmer, assisted by fellow sophomore defensive back Jake Lister about seven minutes later.

In a game that consisted of a total of 18 called fouls by officials, the Owls’ next score came from a penalty kick shot off the foot of junior defensive back Billy Kappock with less than 10 minutes remaining in the half.

In the second half, Lister scored on a breakaway opportunity after receiving a pass from senior midfielder Tyler Witmer to extend the Owls’ lead to 3-1.

But the Cherry and White fouled a Stony Brook player in their own box to set up a penalty kick for junior midfielder Leonardo Fernandes, who got the shot past sophomore goalkeeper Bobby Rosato.  Coach David MacWilliams said that he wasn’t happy with the way the officials called the game, as they issued six cards among both teams during the second half.

“The officiating played a part in it,” MacWilliams said.  “We were up 3-1 until there was a penalty kick and a red card.  We lost our composure.”

“We had more cards in that game than we had all year,” MacWilliams added.

Still leading 3-2, the Owls’ defense tried to shut down the Seawolves with more than 30 minutes left to play in the game. Stony Brook, who was out shot by the Owls in the first half (10-7), had better success in the second half by getting off 10 shots to the Owls’ four.

The Seawolves’ Fernandes, a native of Brazil, scored his second goal of the game off of a corner kick to tie the game 3-3 with less than 20 minutes to go in regulation.

Shortly after the tying goal, the Seawolves completed their comeback with a goal from junior midfielder Kyle Schlesinger.  Schlesinger’s goal went off the hands of Rosato, who blocked the shot at first before it bounced into the net.  Rosato made four saves in the game.

“I don’t think it was more physical than any other game,” MacWilliams said. “It got chippy at the end and I think both teams started to get frustrated.”

The Owls will remain in the city to play their next game away at 7 p.m. Wednesday against Drexel.  MacWilliams said the Owls’ leading scorer, junior midfielder Cody Calafiore, is expected return to the lineup after limited action in the Stony Brook game due to an injury.

Connor Showalter can be reached at connor.showalter@temple.edu.