Men’s tennis dominates shorthanded Rider

Owls await seeding in A-10 tournament.

In its regular season finale, the men’s tennis team defeated the shorthanded Rider 7-0 on Monday afternoon at the Student Pavilion.

The Owls finish the season at 7-11 (4-3 Atlantic 10 Conference), while the Broncs end at 2-19 (0-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference). Rider only had five players available to play, so they forfeited the sixth flight singles match and the third flight doubles match.

In the top flight singles match, sophomore Kristian Marquart did not drop a game, beating junior Rollie Malfitano 6-0, 6-0. Freshman Santiago Canete won his first second flight match, winning 6-1, 6-2 against sophomore Stephen Brand.

Freshman Nicolas Paulus topped senior Ryan Carpenter 6-2, 6-1 in flight three. In flight four, freshman Hicham Belkssir defeated senior Matt DiMartino 6-2, 6-1.

In the fifth flight, freshman Sam Rundle topped senior Mike Gershon 6-1, 6-0. The sixth flight match was not played, but the win was credited to freshman Maros Januvka.

Belkssir and Vasconez won 8-1 against Carpenter and Malfitano in the first flight singles match. In flight two, Canete and Paulus swept Brand and DiMartino, winning 8-0. Rider forfeited the third flight match, giving the automatic win to Marquart and Rundle.

The Owls will play next on Thursday, April 25 in Mason, Ohio at the A-10 championships. The time, seed and opponent have yet to be determined.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.