Morris, Owls almost upset No. 8 Georgia

So close. Despite holding a lead with under five minutes to go, the women’s basketball team fell to No. 8 Georgia, 57-51, Friday in Athens, Ga. The Owls evened their record at 1-1, falling to

So close.

Despite holding a lead with under five minutes to go, the women’s basketball team fell to No. 8 Georgia, 57-51, Friday in Athens, Ga. The Owls evened their record at 1-1, falling to a team that advanced to the Sweet 16 last season and returned its top two scorers.

Ashley Morris led the scoring for the Owls with 21 points, 17 of which came in the second half. LaKeisha Eaddy chipped in with 11 points and eight rebounds. Lady Comfort and Shanea Cotton each added 12 rebounds in the effort.

Georgia (4-0) went on a 6-0 run to begin the game and led by as many as 13 in the first half. However, the Owls went on a 12-5 surge to begin the second half that got them back into the contest.

But just as the Owls fought to get back in the game, Georgia answered back with a 10-2 run of its own to increase its lead. And like clockwork, the Owls once again responded. This time, they took the lead. Eaddy stole the ball and led a fast break up court, laying the ball in to give the Owls their first lead of the game, at 51-49, with 4:37 to play. But that would be it for the Owls on offense.

Georgia scored the final seven points of the game, holding to win its fourth in a row. The Owls weekend trip to the Peach State concludes on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. when they take on Georgia Tech.

Todd Orodenker can be reached at todd.orodenker@temple.edu.