Oteri, Sneed succeed, team flails at Penn Quad-Meet

Sophomore Nina Oteri scored a 9.675 on the balance beam and a 9.600 in the floor exercise, but the Owls finished last at the Penn Quad-Meet Saturday afternoon. “The floor is where I like to

Sophomore Nina Oteri scored a 9.675 on the balance beam and a 9.600 in the floor exercise, but the Owls finished last at the Penn Quad-Meet Saturday afternoon.

“The floor is where I like to show off,” Oteri said about her sixth place finish in her best individual event. “I like to present myself and to have fun. You’re up there and you do your own thing.”

The Owls scored a 190.150, their highest team total of the season, but still finished behind No. 16 North Carolina State, the first-place winner at the event, with a score of 195.075, Towson (193.475) and Penn (192.125).

“We are definitely more together as a team,” Oteri said. “We come into meets focused on ourselves instead of the other teams that are there.”

Like Oteri, junior Winter Sneed also competed in the balance beam and in floor exercises. Sneed holds Temple’s season best score in the floor exercise, where she finished first in the event with a 9.850 at the Ursinus Tri-Meet in January.

“I have the most fun and I can really get into the music,” Sneed said about the floor exercise, her best individual event. “I seem to get higher scores when I do floor.”

Sneed said getting high scores in both the balance beam and the floor exercises are some of her personal goals this season.

She said her objectives include “increasing my consistency, getting more lined up on the bars and on the balance beam.

“I have to do more numbers in the gym on certain tricks [and] do different types of practice styles which give me the confidence I need to produce bigger numbers and more consistency in these events,” Sneed said.

Sneed and the rest of the Owls will take on host West Chester Thursday night. They will then host a home meet at McGonigle Hall against Cornell Saturday at 1 p.m.

Joe Polinsky can be reached at jpolinsky@temple.edu.