Owls drop second straight

Temple loses its second home game of the season to Rider 1-0.

The Owls lost to the Rider Broncs 1-0 Sunday afternoon, dropping their second straight home game.

Despite attempting 26 shots, with seven on goal, Temple (4-2) failed to recover from an early second period score by Rider (3-2). The Broncs registered eight total shots. The Owls followed a 4-0 start to the season, each win coming on the road, with two straight home losses.

Junior defender Alyssa Kirk led the Owls with four shots and two shots on goal. Sophomore defender Paula Jurewicz recorded three shots.

Between the bars, sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff recorded two saves in a loss.

The lone goal of the game was scored by Broncs’ freshman forward Michelle Iacono, who also took three shots in the game.

In the first period, Temple held the shot advantage throughout, shooting 11 shots compared to the Broncs’ four. Four of the Owls’ shots were on goal, but neither team was able to net a goal, making it a scoreless game at halftime.

Five minutes into the second period, Santos assisted Iacono of the first goal of the game, putting Rider ahead of 1-0.

The Owls continue their aggressive offense attack, outshooting the Broncs in the second period, but could not close the deficit. Kirk and DiBlasi had opportunities to at a shot each in the final minutes of the game but both were blocked.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on Twitter @BErick1123.