Owls end four-game skid

Temple routs Houston 79-46

It has taken a few games, but the bleeding has finally stopped for the Owls.

After going on their longest losing streak of the season, the Temple Owls defeated the Houston Cougars 79-46 in Hofheinz Pavilion on Tuesday evening.

Coming into Tuesday’s American Athletic Conference matchup, Temple (11-11, 5-6) had lost four consecutive games, including double-digit losses in the last two games. The Owls’ 33 point victory against Houston (4-18, 0-11) not only ended the season’s longest losing streak, but it was their largest margin of victory this season.

While five different players posted double figures in points for the Owls, Temple’s defense held each Houston player under ten points.

Starting in her first game since a Jan. 7 conference matchup against South Florida, fifth-year senior guard Shi-Heria Shipp registered her fourth double-double of the season, recording 15 points and 12 rebounds.

Starting guards, freshman Feyonda Fitzgerald, junior Tyonna Williams, and sophomore Erica Covile, each scored in double figures. Covile scored a career-high 18 points, and also pulled down eight rebounds and blocked two shots. Williams recorded 14 points, while Fitzgerald scored 10 points and dished out a game-high five assists.

Redshirt-senior Natasha Thames had a quiet night offensively, scoring six points, but managed to register a game-high in steals, grabbing three.

Playing her role as the Owls’ sixth man, junior guard Rateska Brown contributed to the offensive effort by scoring 11 points.

Houston forwards, senior Te’Onna Campbell and sophomore Marche’ Amerson led the Cougars offense with 18 total points, recording nine points each.

The game began with a Williams three pointer, and from that point forward, the Owls began to pull away from the Cougars in a big way. Temple began to pour on points, going on an 18-2 run to begin the game, and at halftime, the Owls’ advantage had ballooned to twenty points. After 20 minutes of play, Temple led Houston 38-18, scoring off of a 51.7 shooting percentage.

In the second half, the offense and defense continued to roll for the Owls as they shot above 60 percent in the second period, continuing to outscore the Cougars. Temple went ahead by their largest lead of 36 points late in the period.

For the game, Temple flourished offensively, shooting 57.1 percent from the floor, while Houston struggled to find its shot, registering a  33.3 field goal percentage. The Owls outrebounded the Cougars 38-32, and outscored Houston in the paint 42-16.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123