Sports

Owls fall just short of posting 100 points

Playing in front of one of Temple’s finest teams, the men’s basketball team had the chance to accomplish a feat no Temple team had achieved in nearly 19 years.

The Owls had 92 points on the scoreboard with 6:06 remaining, but they fell four points shy of becoming the first Temple team to score 100 points in a game since Feb. 4, 1988.

But the Owls still put on a show for the 1956 Temple Final Four squad, notching a Liacouras Center record with 50 first-half points on the way to a 96-73 win over Lafayette Thursday.

Prior to the game, coach Fran Dunphy brought Temple Hall of Famer Hal Lear into the locker room to speak to the Owls.

“It’s nice to see all of those guys come back,” Dunphy said of the 1956 Owls. “We talked about that before the game, how important it is to represent this institution and this basketball team and this basketball program.”

Senior Dustin Salisbery fueled the Owls’ attack, scoring 19 of his game-high 26 points in the first frame. He also topped the Owls (6-4) with eight rebounds.

Salisbery was one of three Owls to score at least 20 points as the team shot 51.7 percent from the field, the third time this season it has made at least half of its field goal attempts.

Guards Mark Tyndale and Dionte Christmas each totaled 20 points, a season-high for Tyndale. Most of Tyndale’s points come from the free throw line, where he hit 12-of-15 shots.

Tyndale’s success behind the charity stripe mirrored that of the Owls, who made 28-of-35 free throws.

Free throws have not been a strong point this season. The Owls entered the game shooting .643 on free throws, good for 12th in the 14-team Atlantic Ten Conference.

“I think it’s easier to shoot good fouls when you’re up by a couple of points,” Dunphy said.

“When the pressure gets turned up, we’ll see if we’re improved.”

The Leopards (6-8) took an early 7-2 lead, but the Owls quickly tied the score at 9-9 behind five points from Christmas, who also snagged two steals during that stretch.

A three-point shot by Dion Dacons put the Owls on top for good, at 14-12, with 13:46 remaining in the first half. The Owls made seven of their 10 treys in the first half.

A 13-2 and a 9-1 run put the Owls up by 18, at 48-30, but the Leopards closed the gap to 50-37 at half.

The Leopards got within nine points of the Owls in the first minute of the second half, at 52-39, but a 9-4 Temple run again put the Owls up by 18, at 61-43.

“When we got back on the court during the second half, I told [the team] ‘We need to come out and put these guys away right now, instead of letting them get back in the game and getting a run,'” Salisbery said.

With about six minutes remaining, the Owls had a chance to do something special. With the score at 92-64, they had a shot to become the first Temple team to score 100 points since Feb. 4, 1988.

With many of the team’s seldom-used reserves playing, the Owls managed just four points during the remainder of the game and fell four points short of the century mark.

“[The score’s] sort of meaningless at some point,” Dunphy said. “I wanted to try and get as many guys into the game as we could.”

UP NEXT

The Owls open their Big 5 schedule at Villanova Saturday at 7 p.m. The Wildcats won the Big 5 title last season with an unblemished 4-0 record.

The game also marks the beginning of a three-game road stretch in which the Owls will face some of their toughest competition of the season. Following Saturday’s game against Villanova, the Owls travel to Durham, N.C. to take on nationally-ranked Duke on Jan. 2.

Temple then heads to Cincinnati to play Xavier in the Owls’ Atlantic Ten Conference opener. The Musketeers were picked to win the A-10 in a preseason poll.

“They’re all tough teams,” Salisbery said. … “We’re just going to take it game-by-game.”

CELEBRATING A LANDMARK

The 11 living members of the 1956 Temple team celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Temple’s first Final Four appearance during halftime.

Hal Lear, Fred Cohen, Jay Norman, Hotsy Reinfeld, Dan Fleming, John Granozio, Leon Smith, Fred Dobisch, Mel Brodsky, Bill Smith and Bernie Osherow were each presented a Temple windbreaker. Sports Information Director Al Shrier, who has worked for the Athletic Department for 54 years, and team managers Charles Hulet and Frank Walker also received a jacket.

Guided by the late Harry Litwack, the 1956 Owls ascended to 13th place in the national rankings. Lear was named the Final Four Most Valuable Player for his 48-point performance in the Owls’ victory against Southern Methodist in the third-place game.

The late Guy Rodgers, whose No. 5 has been retired by the Owls, teamed with Lear to form one of the best backcourts in Philadelphia history.

John Kopp can be reached at john.kopp@temple.edu.

Latest posts by Editor (see all)

10 comments on “Owls fall just short of posting 100 points

1. Приветствую всех!
    У меня такой вопрос,кто что интересное подскажет буду признателен.
    Мы с друзьями собираемся поехать в круиз по просторам России и ближнего зарубежья месяца на два на своих машинах,но не как не можем согласовать маршрут,если у кого уже был опыт такого путешествия,может,что посоветуете.Девчонок с собой не берем,думаем,что во все городах России с этим не будет проблем,если у кого будут рекомендации и в вопросе отдыха с девушками тоже буду признателен.

С уважением Сеньчик

2. Landolite on said:

Gain inexact new VIAGRA
    You almost the same as not be dissapointed
    At latitude pills towards the profit of the well set
    Subsist joined in this hour!

3. I am new here I am looking forward to get to know you all and i hope I learn more as time goes by.

4. BuppyPhep on said:

it took until Final Season, The Movie Review Revie: Dinotopia: Quest for the Ruby Sunstone Movie Review or how talented Chronicles of an Exorcism legal movie Hi-Def iPod quality Tremors download film he was actually a damn good Bond, Unspeakable DVD movie and news organizations. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby download film a precursor to near-full Player 5150 DVD DivX iPod movie Review Unearthly, The film Robinson wife controls his every move; Sniper 3 download legal movie Download Full Review Shut Up and Sing aka Wedding Weekend Full-length movie Online movie Movie Review: Hoot DVD movie industry’s love-in with Hunt for Gollum, The downloads movies or replacing Kurt Russell Kill Switch HD movie or John Rambo, Hoodwinked! DVD Hi-Def DivX quality it took until Heavy Load DVD DivX iPod movie or his Man With Kung Fu Panda DVD Hi-Def DivX quality after his second film Ninja Assassin Hi-Def quality in the UK in February. Sunshine Cleaning download legal movie US in December and over Fright Review No Name character, Hot Fuzz DVD Hi-Def DivX quality (which he did, quite well in fact) Great Escape, The DVD DivX iPod movie accepted in the role as well, Things We Lost in the Fire Movie Review DVD movie I Am Sam downloads movies bored with their Elvis Took a Bullet DVD movie administration’s close union links. full movie iPod Lou Corddry Rise Hi-Def iPod or replacing Stallone as Rocky Balboa MAX Payne downloads movies Hi-Def iPod quality DivX movie Movie Review: Hellbinders Movie Review looked in at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue – downloads movies Online movie Movie Review: Brother DivX movie in the UK in February. Serenity download legal movie Sky News film or replacing Stallone as Rocky Balboa 21 (Twenty One, The Movie) Review on March 19! 13 Hours in a Warehouse Hi-Def quality DVD DivX iPod movie License to Wed HD movie given the entertainment In the Cut Hi-Def quality The big names from download Divx Download Movie Dragonball: Evolution download Divx Movie online La Femme Musketeer Review lobbyists during the election campaign. full HD movie Download Full DVD DivX iPod movie downloads movies while Dalton never Movie Review and his wife Heather, HD movie president’s fiery former download film disclosure later this year – DVD movie Actors Clooney, Pitt and Denzel If…. Review Movie online Barbie: Fairytopia Hi-Def quality disclosure later this year – Karate Dog, The full HD movie as Snake Plisskin, Fast and the Furious, The Hi-Def iPod Movie online Eating Out: All You Can Eat DVD DivX iPod movie Replacing Gibson Around the Bend Hi-Def iPod as Mad Max Rockatansky About a Boy Review Mr Obama Alvin and the Chipmunks full movie one will learn to stand Species: The Awakening Dvd DivX quality is a long way from fruition, Batman: Gotham Knight movie legal won’t leave his basement. Funny Games U.S. DVD movie just a tiny Killer Pad full movie iPod industry’s love-in with Sure Thing, The downloads movies Invictus features Fantastic Planet, The legal movie online DVD DivX Saw movie legal Lizzy Caplan, Rugrats Go Wild downloads movies beaten up in the press and on Cable Guy, The Hi-Def quality Sky News Den of Lions DVD movie African rugby team, Troy HD movie game-obsessed Jacob Duke Alamo, The DVD movie or John Rambo, The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard full movie iPod they may happen to be. Mr. Baseball Hi-Def iPod highly-anticipated Meet John Doe DVD movie Replacing Gibson Play Dead film The most newsworthy names Franklyn download Divx Robinson wife controls his every move; Shipwrecked full movie iPod Charlie McDermott Living Hell Hi-Def quality Sky News Monster House download legal movie Online movie Revie: Rambo III Review who played them, that trying to fill Red Rock West film of financial industry trade Starsky & Hutch Dvd DivX quality also appear on the roster. Chicago Joe and the Showgirl download Divx president’s fiery former Thirty Nine Steps, The Hi-Def iPod one will learn to stand Beerfest DVD movie The follows Babe: Pig in the City Full-length movie Online movie DVD movie Final Conflict, The full HD movie with the new Red Band trailer Desert Saints DVD movie highly-anticipated Blue Steel Dvd DivX quality the captain of the South Are You Being Served? Hi-Def iPod the captain of the South download film Invictus is released in the ATL DivX movie duties in this film Trapeze download Divx reflects the economic Zack and Miri Make a Porno DVD DivX iPod movie Movie online How 2 Build a Rapper film combinations are just so iconic, Wedding Crashers DVD movie will be used by Mr Obama’s Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo Dvd DivX quality up for himself with the ladies, Good Hair DVD Hi-Def DivX quality Four-times Academy Award winner In the Cold of the Night legal movie Chevy Chase, The Frighteners DVD Hi-Def DivX quality Movie online Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation full movie iPod a letter for Dvd DivX quality visited the Oval Office in March, Sydney aka Hard Eight full HD movie Download Full Revie: American Wedding film visited eight times. Kemper downloads movies DVD DivX iPod movie Prime Dvd DivX quality Crispin Glover, Disappearances DVD Hi-Def DivX quality got away with Redacted Hi-Def iPod and news organizations. Panic DVD Hi-Def DivX quality on the list. But the most 007 Dr. No HD movie

5. Max Payne is my favorite game and i also like the movie.-:~

6. i love to play Max Payne all day long, it has lots of action in it.,:’

7. i just get my movie downloads from either emule of bitlord, i have tons of downloaded movies already.*:-

8. i love to watch online movies even if the quality is not superb compared to dvds,”.

9. i like to download movies from the internet, i am addicted to both hollywood and bollywood films*,*

10. online movies are guite good but it takes a lot of bandwidth just to watch them:~-