Owls fall to James Madison

Temple lost its sixth game of the year Friday in a 4-3 loss to James Madison.

The Owls lost 4-3 Friday to James Madison University Friday at the JMU Field Hockey Complex in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

James Madison, who is ranked No. 19 in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association coaches poll, opened the game’s scoring on a goal from Loes Stijntjtes. It was the first half’s lone goal.

“We did a good job the first half controlling the tempo of the game,” coach Marybeth Freeman. “We did a good job making passes mid field to generate our position of attack. The second half was a more aggressive half for both teams.” And she was not kidding.

Two minutes into the second half, James Madison’s Miranda Rigg scored to give the Dukes a 2-0 lead.

Temple redshirt-freshman forward Maris Stern responded two minutes later with her first goal of the season to bring the Owls within one goal.

With 30 minutes remaining in the second half, James Madison’s Danni Wilson scored to increase the Duke’s lead to 3-1.

The Owls’ Alyssa Delp responded five minutes later with her eighth goal of the year, narrowing James Madison’s lead to 3-2.

“[Delp] is one of the most consistent players on our team,” Freeman said of the senior forward/midfielder. “She’s an excellent leader in our midfield. She’s a versatile player. Every game, she’s getting stronger and stronger.”

James Madison’s Taylor West scored at the 56:25 mark to give the Dukes a 4-2 lead.

With just over 10 minutes remaining, sophomore midfielder Rachael Mueller scored her first goal of the season, bringing the Owls within one goal.

Temple did not record a shot following Mueller’s score.

“You could see the resilience of our team not giving up in the second half,” said Freeman. “But it was a little too late. If we’d come out that way and played with that same energy the first half, I think it would be a different story.”

David Block can be reached at david.block@temple.edu