Owls fall to St. Joe’s

Winning streak ends at four, as team lost first game of season.

The Owls were not able to find their rhythm against St. Joseph’s on Saturday night, losing 1-0 and ending a four game winning streak.

St. Joe’s came into this game without a win in their first three games, but was able to find luck against the Owls.

“I think it was a typical city battle,” coach David MacWilliams said. “I think some of our guys who didn’t play in this, they didn’t realize it was a hard fought tough game. It is usually a one goal game and is a tough game always. It was a pretty even battle. But, they actually did better than us and competed better than us.”

The Owls were able to out shoot the Hawks 8-6, but were not able to convert their chances and paid their price when St. Joe’s converted their only real chance in the game. St. Joe’s play a long ball style, one the Owls are less comfortable with.

Even though this loss is the first of the season, MacWilliams says it’s only one game. He wants to see how his team moves on from defeat.

“I don’t know if complacency was a factor,” MacWilliams said. “I think it is a learning experience. We at times didn’t compete at the level we needed to. It was a very tight and direct game. They are a very direct team. So, we’re not going to play at our feet all the time. We’ve got to adjust to other teams. So, I think we struggled on the directness of the game. And it’s an eye opener for some of the guys.”

The Owls return to action Tuesday against Delaware.

“I don’t think we used the wide of the field,” MacWilliams said. “That’s part of our strength—using the wide players. The level of the players out wide we have should be able to beat and cross it in. We didn’t do that at all. We’ve got to look at it and we need to fix them.”

Hoon Jin can be reached at hoon.jin@temple.edu