Owls lose second straight game

The team lost to Delaware 2-1 on Tuesday afternoon.

The Owls faltered for their second straight game, losing to Delaware 2-1 on Tuesday.

Temple is now 4-2-0 this year after winning four straight games to open the season.

The Owls started off well, as senior forward Chas Wilson scored in the 13th minute in the first half to give Temple the early lead. But it went all downhill from there, as Delaware came back to score two straight goals within two minutes after Wilson’s goal.

“I think they are a very good team,” coach David MacWilliams said. “They are probably the best team we’ve played. We went up early on them, but gave up two goals in two minutes. It is unacceptable.”

“Unfortunately they went down the field after a kick off and scored the goal,” MacWilliams added. “Most goals are scored in the first or last five minutes after a goal scores. For whatever reason, we didn’t track well and didn’t press well. I think it was tough after that.”

Delaware was able to possess the ball more than the Owls, and out-shot them 20-9.

“I think we need more movement off the ball,” MacWilliams said. “If you compare the both teams, they possessed more tonight and moved well off the ball. We finished our first chance, but we weren’t creating chances, as many as we would have liked.”

The Owls return to action Saturday at 2 p.m. against city-rival Villanova.

“We got to get back to doing the basics, like defending,” MacWilliams said. “They scored on set piece and controlled the ball more. We have to work on set pieces and movement off the ball is one of the key issues we got to work on.”

Hoon Jin can be reached at hoon.jin@temple.edu