Owls rally in OT to defeat Pittsburgh

Senior defenseman Jason Lombardi’s game-wining goal in overtime capped the Owls 6-5 comeback win against Pittsburgh Friday night.

The Owls trailed the University of Pittsburgh by four goals after one period Friday night at Pittsburgh’s Alpha Ice Complex

After the first intermission, the Owls scored five of the game’s next six goals to send the two teams into overtime.

Senior defenseman Jason Lombardi finished off the comeback when he took a pass from fellow senior defenseman Patrick Hanrahan and scored the overtime game-winner on a power play giving Temple a 6-5 win.

“After the first we kind of got back on the original game plan and everybody just came out flying,” sophomore defenseman Ryan Dumbach said. “We felt like we really had control of the game at that point other than penalty minutes, which is really hurting us. We stuck together and didn’t quit on each other, which was a very big win for us.”

Lombardi’s game-winning goal was the Owls’ third goal of the game with a man advantage, with sophomore forwards Eric Graham and Ryan Gilmartin adding the other two power-play goals.

“It looks like the guys are starting to control [the puck] more and get it a little more setup,” Bussetti said. “We were trying to tire their guys out. We had a couple good back-door plays, but we missed a couple good chances too.”

Senior forward Stephen Kennedy scored two goals, increasing his season total to five after scoring 36 goals last season.

“His goals are pretty much worker’s goals,” coach Roman Bussetti said. “He’s a real offensive presence. He’s real poised, and he doesn’t mind taking a hit.”

Fellow forward Devon Thomas scored a goal in the second period, but Temple still trailed 5-2 after two periods.

The defense kept the gap from widening for the Owls in the third allowing the offense to knot up the score. Freshman defenseman Nick Fuchs played added minutes when John Anthony left the game with a separated shoulder.

“As a freshman I think Fuchs really stepped up, especially in a game like that on the road,” Lombardi said. “I think he really showed a lot of maturity for his young age, and when he was back there he played sound defense.”

Stephen Godwin Jr. can be reached at stephen.godwin@temple.edu or on Twitter @StephenGodwinJr